Monday, December 10, 2007

Admiral-Level Gameplay in a Star Trek MMORPG +

Originally Posted by ReniriAirion:
Maybe the answer to the Admiral conundrum is to use a similar system to that employed in BF2142 i.e. the player with the best stats for that month in the ranking system is "crowned" Admiral for the period of one month.
We've been looking at Admiral (of whatever degree) as a more-or-less permanently earned rank for a character, but this is a pretty interesting alternative approach.

Assuming it could be extended to apply to however many admiral roles are available, I might could go for this method of promotion/demotion as well, provided that the stats controlling a role are determined according to what the admiral in that role is responsible for.

If we're talking Fleet Operations, then I could live with "best stats" meaning "most kills." I wouldn't be thrilled, since I don't think trying to rack up kill counts is very Star Trek-like at all. But I could live with it.

I don't think I'd want it used to pick the admiral in charge of Strategic Planning, or Logistics, or the Science or Engineering departments, though. "Best stats" ought to mean something more specific to each of those roles, as well as any other roles that require a character with the rank of Admiral.