To answer that, we need to figure out what's unique to each discipline. Once we see those things, we can discriminate usefully between them to create appropriate gameplay features.
So here are some of the characteristics of Science and Engineering that come to mind:
- Science is about theoretical understanding; Engineering is about practical application.
- Science is about perceiving patterns in complex data; Engineering is about insuring patterns in the behavior of complex objects.
- Science is about knowledge; Engineering is about technology.
- Science is about building internal models of systems; Engineering is about building external examples of systems.
- Science is about "why"; Engineering is about "how."